It is starting to finally feel a little more like winter. This morning we awoke to a temperature of 40 degrees outside. On Friday, we had light rain that made the whole day feel more like Spring time. I was wondering if global warming had really affected Eastern NC. I told our congregation yesterday that I have had a difficult time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. I believe the reason is because retailers push Christmas (the commercialization aspect) on us earlier and earlier each year. There is a local radio station that began playing nothing but Christmas music on November 1. Santa Claus arrived at most malls a few weeks ago. Several towns, including Wilson, have already had their Christmas parades.
I have a rule in our home: no Christmas videos or music until after Thanksgiving. No, I’m not the Grinch or Ebenezer Scrooge. I just feel that something is lost when we begin to celebrate Christmas too early. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas and everything about it. I just want it to be something special. Hopefully now that we are into December we can begin to give our attention to the real meaning of Christmas.
It all starts on Tuesday night, December 5, at Wilson Christian Academy, with our annual Christmas program. Each class will be singing, the bands will be playing, and then I’ll start singing, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.” Then the Christmas activities begin.
- Wednesday, December 6, following Prayer Meeting and Bible Study we will be decorating the Church for Christmas.
- Saturday, December 9, our Ruby (Ladies) Class holds their Christmas Party at 9:00 AM.
- Sunday, December 10, I begin a new sermon series on the message of the angels entitled, “Behold, I Bring You the Gospel.”
- Monday, December 11, our Ladies Missionary Fellowship has their Christmas Party
- Saturday, December 16, the Ainsworth’s hold an Open House for the choir and all of the musicians. They have invited the entire church family to join them also.
- Sunday, December 17, our Beginner Sunday School Class will present a program for the church family at the beginning of our Sunday School time.
- Sunday, December 17, several of our childrens classes will have their Christmas parties during Sunday School time.
- Sunday, December 17, the Auditorium Bible Class will be going to lunch at Sylvia’s Restaurant.
- Sunday, December 17, the Choir will present the Christmas cantata “A Child is Born.”
- Sunday, December 17, the Ambassador Bible Class will hold their Christmas party in the gym following the Cantata.
- Wednesday, December 20, we will Christmas carol to the area nursing homes and to several of our shut-ins
Whether it looks like Christmas or not today, it will very soon.