My children enjoy watching the Food Network, so over the Christmas break, Abigail and Joanna saw a program that featured an interesting idea on how to make a cake. It was called “Cake in a Mug.” Joanna then went to the internet and found a recipe that allows you to cook the cake in a mug in the MICROWAVE – wow! It is really easy and makes a great gift. Use any flavor of cake mix and corresponding flavor of pudding mix. For the glaze, use a corresponding flavor of powdered mix, such as lemonade for lemon, cocoa for chocolate, etcetera. We used chocolate cake and pudding, and added chocolate and caramel syrup. Yummy!!!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered lemonade mix
- Check your coffee mugs to make sure each one holds 1 1/2 cups water.
- Place dry cake mix and dry pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well with a whisk. This will be about 4 to 4 1/2 cups of dry mix and will make 8 coffee cup cake mixes. Divide mix into small plastic bags (about 1/2 cup each). Place mix into a corner of each bag and tie it there with a twist tie.
- Make glaze mix: in a medium bowl, combine confectioners sugar with powdered flavoring mix. Divide into 8 small plastic bags and close bag with a twist tie. Attach each glaze mix to the cake mix bags with a twist tie. Place one of each bag into each cup.
- Attach the following instructions to each cup: generously spray inside of cup with cooking spray. Empty contents of cake mix packet in cup. Add 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 table-spoon water to dry mix. Mix 15 seconds, carefully mixing in all dry mix. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from Glaze mix into a very small container and add 1 1/2 teaspoon water.
- Mix well. When cake is done, pour glaze over cake in cup. Enjoy while warm.
Suggested Flavor Combinations
- Lemon cake mix – lemon pudding
- Yellow cake mix – chocolate pudding
- Devils food cake mix – chocolate pudding
- Pineapple cake mix – coconut pudding
- Butterscotch cake mix – butterscotch pudding